National Immunisation Advisory Committee Recommendations for the 2017/2018 Influenza Campaign
Please note the following recommendations from the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) - these will be included in revised chapters of the Immunisation Guidelines:
- Influenza vaccination is strongly recommended annually for all cancer patients.
- If a person receiving chemotherapy has not received influenza vaccine 2 weeks or more before commencing treatment, the vaccine should be given during chemotherapy.
- If a person given the vaccine during chemotherapy finishes their treatment during the same influenza season, they should be given a second dose at least 4 weeks after the first dose.
- Two doses of influenza vaccine 4 weeks apart are only required for those in the following groups who are receiving the vaccine for the first time:
- Children from 6 months to under 9 years of age
- Adults and children aged 9 and older who are:
- Post haematopoietic stem cell transplant
- Post solid organ transplant
- Who received the vaccine while on chemotherapy and who have completed their treatment in the same season
The following information materials are available for the 2017/2018 influenza campaign
Information is also available from the following websites
Medicine Protocols and Training Materials
The following Medicine Protocols and training materials were provided to the National Immunisation Office by the Office of the Nursing and Midwifery Services Director.
Please click on the links below for Flu Medicine Protocols for the 2017/2018 season
Please click on the links below for the Flu Medicine Protocols training materials for the 2017/2018 season
Any queries related to these protocols should be directed to the Office of the Nursing and Midwifery Services Director.
National Flu Conference presentations - April 24 2017
This page was updated on 12 September 2017