Community Physiotherapy services are provided from the Local Health Office, helping people who have suffered an injury or illness to regain their health or mobility through exercise and movement. Tel: Longford (043) 3346 211; Westmeath (044) 934 0221
Occupational Therapy services are provided to people who through illness or disability are in need of support or changes to their lifestyle. Occupational Therapists can advise on any changes that may be needed in the home to support a person with special needs, and on activities that will help a person to regain their independence. Tel: Longford (043) 335 0103; Westmeath (044) 933 8576
Speech and Language Therapy
Services are provided for children and adults in Health Centres in Athlone, Ballymahon, Longford, Moate, Mullingar and at the Midland Regional Hospital at Mullingar. Speech and Language Therapists assess, diagnose and treat disorders of communication that include speech, language understanding and expression, voice, stammering, eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties. Services are provided to children and adults of all ages. Referral can be made directly by a patient and/or parent/carer. Contact your Local Health Centre Tel: Sec. (043) 335 0166.
The Community Nutrition and Dietetic Service
The Community Nutrition and Dietetic service is a community based service that aims to improve the nutritional status of the population of Longford / Westmeath.
This is achieved via a combination of clinical work and health promotion activities. In the midlands the head office is located in Mullingar but we have satellite offices in Athlone, Tullamore, Birr & Portlaoise
Examples of programmes
- XPERT programme - which is a 6 week group programme for individuals with Type 2 Diabetes.
- Nutrition counselling to adult and paediatric clients within primary care teams on conditions such as overwieght/obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer.
- Nutrition support to clients and parents in the early intervention teams.
- Nutrition service to elderly homebound clients via homecare packages.
- Health professional training to public health nurses & GPs in areas such as infant nutrition, PEG feeding, diabetes and oral nutritional supplement use.
- Health promotion projects within primary schools and disadvantaged groups.
The service is provided by community dietitians who are members of the INDI.
For all the latest news go to the HSE News Centre
Community Nutrition & Dietetic Service
HSE Dublin Mid-Leinster
Marlinstown Office Park
Telephone: 044 93 53220
Fax: 044 93 53225