The HSE - National Medical Card Unit (NMCU) is pleased to announce the launch of their new online Medical Card application system.
From 26th October, 2017, applications for Medical Cards can be submitted using the National Medical Card Online service.
The launch of the National Medical Card Online service is one of the most significant innovations in customer service that the HSE National Medical Card Unit has delivered and brings considerable benefits for all applicants in terms of turnaround times, convenience and security.
If you are over 16 you can now apply online for a medical card.
If you already have a medical card or GP visit card you can now review it online.
You can apply under the General Medical Card Scheme or if you are over 70 you can also apply under the Scheme for Persons aged 70 or over.
Apply for a medical card online
Benefits of using the online system
The benefits of applying online are:
- you can submit documents, relating to your income or outgoings, by taking photos with your phone and uploading them
- the online system guides you through each step of the application process
- if we need to contact you about your application we can send you an email instead of writing to you
- if your GP accepts electronic registration requests, we will send it online so you don't have to go to the surgery
- when you have submitted your financial details we will tell you straight away if you qualify for a medical card
Applications will be processed within 15 working days.
As you use the system you will see help information to guide you through the process.
Click the help icon to show additional instructional text.
Information you need
To complete your online application, you will need:
- date of birth and PPS numbers for the people on your application
- GP's name and address
- net household income details for you and your spouse or partner, if applicable. This is take-home pay after deductions like tax
- recent supporting documents that show your expenses
Apply for a medical card online
Your profile is the section at the top right of the screen.
Here you can:
- see your profile details
- see the progress of your application
- see any emails we send you
- change your password
If this is your first time using the system, you need to register your details and create an account. To do this, you must submit your email address and create a password. Your username will be your email address.
We will send you an email with a link to activate your account. When you click the link you will see a help screen. This will guide you through the application process.
If you are applying for a medical card for the first time, or your circumstances have changed, select 'Apply for a medical card'.
Reviewing your medical or GP visit card eligibility
If you have received a letter and PIN from us, inviting you to use the online medical card application system, select 'Review my medical card'.
For more information about applying online read our common questions
If you need further assistance please contact us on 1890 252 919.
Apply by post
If you prefer to apply using the manual application, please download the medical card application form.
Forms are also available from your Local Health Office