Did you know that people aged 70 and over, can apply for a Medical Card in two ways?
1. Medical Card Scheme for Persons aged 70 and over.
- A separate Medical Card application exists for Persons aged 70 and over.
- This scheme is an assessment of gross household income.
- It is available to people aged 70 and over or the case of a couple where at least one person is aged 70 or over.
- Income thresholds applicable to this process are set higher that those applicable to the General Medical Card Scheme.
- The assessment is based on gross weekly income, and does not take into account outgoings or Medical circumstances.
To apply you must be Ordinarily Resident in Ireland. Ordinarily Resident means that you have lived in Ireland for one year or more or intend to live in Ireland for least a year.
Income Thresholds for this scheme.
1. Single Applicant
To qualify for a Medical Card under this scheme, your gross weekly income should be under 500 euros.
To see the benefits relating to Medical Cards see
If your weekly income exceeds 500, you will be issued with a GP Visit Card which means you can attend your GP free of charge.
2. Joint Application
If you are submitted a joint application with your spouse or partner, your combined gross weekly income will be assessed.
To qualify for Medical Cards under this scheme, your combined gross weekly income should be under 900 euros.
If your joint weekly income exceeds 900, and both applicants are aged 70 or over, you will be issued with GP Visit Cards which means you can attend your GP free of charge.
If your joint weekly income exceeds 900, and one applicant is under 70 years of age, you will be automatically assessed to see if you qualify for GP Visit Cards.
To qualify for GP Visit Cards your joint weekly income must not exceed 1,400.
Application Form for Medical Card Scheme for Persons aged 70 and over.
Irish Application Form for Medical Card Scheme for Persons aged 70 and over
2. General Medical Card Scheme
The main Medical Card scheme is open to all adults in Ireland who are ordinarily resident.
People who are aged 70 or over can also apply under this scheme.
The assessment for eligibility under the scheme is an assessment of net household Income
The income thresholds are lower than those applicable to the other scheme (Medical Card for Persons aged 70 and over).
The scheme takes into account allowable outgoings such as Rent or Mortgage, House Insurance, Maintenance Payments, etc.
The scheme also considers Medical circumstances.
Please see page which demonstrates how eligibility under the new scheme is calculated.
Application Form MC1