The strategic plan of any organisation needs to reflect that organisation's mission, vision and values.
- An organisation's mission is a broad, general statement of its reason for existence.
- The vision describes the goal to which the organisation aspires.
- The values underpin and support the organisation's vision and mission.
They are a set of beliefs and principles that guide the organisation's work. They define the 'culture' of the organisation and reflect its ethos and philosophy. Our values govern our attitudes and behaviour towards all of those with whom we have professional contact.
Statements of mission, vision and values for UL Hospitals were drafted by a working group convened by the CEO and then circulated to all UL Hospitals staff. They were modified in the light of feedback received and have subsequently been approved by the CEO, by the UL Hospitals Executive Management Team and by the UL Hospitals Board. The statements are as follows:
"All of the staff of this hospital will work together in a respectful, caring and professional way to deliver the best possible patient experience in a safe and clean environment and in the most effective and efficient way possible. We are committed to achieving this each and every day."
Statement of Vision
"To be ranked among the top three Irish university hospitals by 2018."
- To treat each patient as we would wish to be treated ourselves
- To provide safe, quality, excellent clinical services equitably
- To foster a culture of continuous improvement in our work
- To deal expeditiously with each patient presenting as an emergency
- To incorporate education and research into everything we do
- To use our resources efficiently and in harmony with the environment
- To make our hospital a place in which we take pride and where people like coming to work
Statement of Values
"Caring, Courteous and Professional"