A national programme was established in mid-2016 to coordinate several activities to improve endoscopy services. The Endoscopy Programme is housed within the Acute Operations Division of the HSE and the programme is overseen by the National Endoscopy Steering Group. The programme team consists of a Clinical Lead, Training Lead, Nurse Lead and Programme Manager. The team are supported by the National Endoscopy Working Group.
The aim of the programme is to improve the delivery of endoscopy services across all Hospital Groups.
The objectives of the HSE Endoscopy Programme are to:
- Strengthen clinical governance for endoscopy services across Hospital Groups
- Increase the capacity of endoscopy services to meet current and future demand
- Establish and deliver national training programme for endoscopy
- Support improvements to validation and scheduling of endoscopy procedures
- Support the roll out of referral pathways for endoscopy including eReferral
- Support endoscopy units to engage with the JAG accreditation process
- Support the development and expansion of BowelScreen – The National Bowel Screening Programme in public hospitals
The National Endoscopy Working Group
Members of the working group include representatives from the Irish Society for Endoscopy Nurses, BowelScreen, the National Treatment Purchase Fund, the Gastrointestinal Endoscopy National Quality Improvement Programme, the Irish Cancer Society and the seven Hospital Group Clinical Leads for Endoscopy. The National Endoscopy Working Group is responsible for coordinating and progressing a number of inter-dependent activities to achieve the objectives of the programme.
For further information
Please contact Grace O’Sullivan, Programme Manager
T: +353 (0)1 863 9692