Best-value biological medicines
The Medicines Management Programme has identified best-value biological (BVB) medicines for TNF-α inhibitors under the High Tech Arrangement.
The MMP recommends the following BVB medicines for adalimumab and etanercept:
o Citrate-containing: Hyrimoz, Idacio, Imraldi
o Citrate-free: Amgevita, Hulio, Yuflyma
- Etanercept: Benepali, Erelzi
Clinicians should give due consideration to the prescription of these agents when prescribing a TNF-α inhibitor. Implementation of the BVB medicines will lead to significant savings for the health service, in the order of millions of euros.
The MMP recommends Amgevita as the BVB medicine for presentations of adalimumab 20 mg solution for injection that are available as self-administered injection devices on the High Tech Arrangement. This presentation of adalimumab is predominately used in paediatric patients. The MMP wrote a letter to prescribers in relation to this in May 2021.
Resources to support prescribing of the BVB medicines are located in the Related Files section below:
- Questions and Answers for Healthcare Professionals.
- MMP Product Information Sheets for Amgevita, Benepali, Erelzi, Hulio, Hyrimoz, Idacio, Imraldi and Yuflyma
- Contact information for MMP support.
- Contact information for patient support services for Amgevita, Benepali, Erelzi, Hulio, Hyrimoz, Idacio, Imraldi and Yuflyma
- Templates for switching letters for Amgevita, Benepali, Erelzi, Hulio, Hyrimoz, Idacio, Imraldi and Yuflyma.
From 1 February 2020, it is HSE policy that all adult patients who are commencing treatment with adalimumab or etanercept should be prescribed a best-value biological (BVB) medicine. Further information in relation to this can be found here.