Obstetrics and Gynaecology Programme Benefits
The key objectives and benefits of the programme are based on access, quality and value as with other National Clinical Programmes. These include:
- To maintain the low national maternal and perinatal mortality rates.
- Stop the rate of increase of caesarean sections in first time mothers.
- To develop and disseminate national guidelines.
- Increase the number of patients attending for antenatal care for early pregnancy.
- To improve choice by developing and delivering new models of maternity care.
- To reduce the number and cost of medical negligence cases in obstetrics.
- To reduce the medication costs in obstetrics and gynaecology.