The National Leadership and Innovation Centre for Nursing and Midwifery (NLIC) was established in 2011, as part of a comprehensive investment in nursing and midwifery leadership by the Office of the Nursing and Midwifery Services Director (ONMSD), Health Service Executive
The purpose of the National Leadership and Innovation Centre (NLIC) is to provide a leadership and innovation service on behalf of the Office of the Nursing and Midwifery Services Director (ONMSD), in collaboration with a range of partners.
To build the leadership and innovation capacity and capabilities of nurses and midwives in the Irish Healthcare setting
Our Objectives for 2019
- Deliver a suite of leadership programmes for frontline staff
- Publish a national guiding framework for developing nurse and midwife leaders at all levels.
- Support the individual and collective development of senior nurse and midwife leaders
- Develop an online leadership resource for nurses and midwives
- Deliver a series of innovation learning events
- Support clinical team development
What we offer?
We offer a blended approach to the development and delivery of our learning opportunities.
For the Individual
We offer a range of programmes and events for all nurses and midwives, so whether you are aspiring to be a future nurse or midwife leader or want to further your career or engage in developing your clinical leadership capability, we have programmes that can support you.
- Clinical Leadership Competency ePortfolio
- Psychometric assessments
- Leading Self - exploring your values and strengthens
- Empowering self and others - unlocking your leadership potential
- The ‘Peta Taaffe’ Clinical Leadership Programme
- Future Nurse and Midwife Leaders Development Programmes
- Masterclass Series
- Bursaries and Scholarships
- Executive Leader Development Opportunities
- Summer Schools
For the Organisation
Every organisation is different, each with distinctive challenges and opportunities in developing the nursing and midwifery workforce. We are keen to support your organisation in assessing your leadership developmental needs. We can offer your organisation the following:
- Needs Analysis Support
- Bespoke Leadership Programmes
- Team Development Events
- Lead Action Learning Facilitator Training
- Lead Mentorship Facilitator Training
- Facilitation Skills Training
The values that guide the National Leadership Innovation Centre in all its activities and interactions are the Values for Nursing and Midwifery in Ireland (DoH/NMBI 2016) and those set out in the HSE Corporate Plan 2015- 2017. The NLIC will demonstrate:
- We will show respect, kindness, consideration and empathy in our communication and interactions with people
- We will respect cultural sensitivity and diversity
- We will provide services in which people have trust and confidence and demonstrate professionalism at all times
- We will be courteous, trustworthy, and open in our communication with people and recognise their fundamental worth
- We will listen to the views and opinion staff, patient and service users and consider them in how we plan and deliver our services
- We will apply an evidence-based approach to the design and delivery of programmes and services
- We will foster learning, innovation and creativity
- We will support and encourage our workforce to achieve their full potential
- We will create supportive environments where staff share a common purpose, learn and build resilience
- We will show honesty, integrity, consistency and be accountable for our decisions and actions
To support the development of leadership and innovation practices in building the next generation of nurse and midwife leaders.
Click Here for NLIC News and Updates on Programmes
Please click on the link to go the Centre's Leadership and Innovation Hub which is in the Nursing and Midwifery Hub on HSELanD (You will be requested to register on HSELanD prior to entering the Hub)