Our most important partner in this programme is Irish Aid, Ireland’s official aid programme under the Department of Foreign Affairs. Under the MOU framework, the HSE provides expertise in priority areas, ranging from technical advice for country programmes to working with international agencies such as WHO, the Global Health Workforce Alliance and the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria. In turn the HSE benefits from Irish Aid's development policies, helping us to promote best practice in development initiatives by our own staff and institutions.
Over the past year the MOU has continued to provide an excellent arrangement for HSE global health engagement, helping to achieve impact at international and national levels. The HSE provides technical expertise, based on agreed priority areas. The collaboration also fostered deeper engagement in global health by the Department of Health and there is now more of a tri-partite approach by the Department, with the HSE and Irish Aid, to Ireland’s engagement in health workforce issues and development of the post-2015 development goals.
Dr Philip Crowley, signing agreement for HSE to collaborate with the Ministry of Health in Mozambique (June 2014)
In 2014, the HSE provided technical advice and support to Irish Aid in the following areas:
- Supported bilateral health programme in Tanzania and visited Tanzania in March as part of review team.
- Collaborated with Irish Aid for signing of Statement of Intent between HSE and Mozambique during State visit to Ireland in June 2014. Organised follow up visit by MOH delegation from Mozambique in September.
- Provided input for Open Working Group process on Sustainable Development Goals.
- Represented Irish Aid on the Board of the Global Health Workforce Alliance, the global partnership to strengthen the health workforce in less developed countries (Dr David Weakliam).
- Represented Irish Aid on the Board of the European Vaccine Initiative, aiming to coordinate efforts to develop new vaccines for malaria and HIV (Dr Diarmuid O’Donovan).
- Member of Irish Aid technical advisory group for Global Fund to Fight AIDS. TB and Malaria (Dr David Weakliam).
- Input to PQs and Ministerial briefings