The journey to introduce Schwartz Rounds commenced in 2015 when the National Quality Improvement Team engaged the Point of Care Foundation to licence, train and mentor staff in two sites to test the introduction of Schwartz Rounds in an Irish context (over 300 healthcare settings in the US and 100 in the UK have successfully introduced rounds).
Based on the success of this work, over the coming two years, the National Quality Improvement Team is working collaboratively with the Point of Care Foundation to establish Schwartz Rounds with up to 30 teams in Ireland (22 sites have already completed training).
To learn more about this work, you may find it helpful to read the independent evaluation of the Schwartz Rounds test of concept – click here to read the evidence.
The Point of Care Foundation is an independent charity dedicated to improving patients’ experience of care and increasing support for the staff who work with them. They provide evidence and resources to support health and care staff in the difficult work of caring for patients. For further information about their work please visit their website
Pictured below are members of the team involved in this test of concept.
Back row: Dr. Catherine Anne Field, Maureen Flynn, Dr. John Fitzsimons, Siobhan Murphy, Ellen Wiseman, Goda Faherty, Olive Gallagher, Irene Maguire, Libby Kinneen, Jean Kelly, Juanita Guidera, Dr. Sean Dinneen, Geraldine Tracey
Front row: Ger Kilkelly, Nicki Power, Schwartz Round Mentor, Krystle Davis, Dr. Joan Cunninghan, Dr. Ursula Bates.
Teams from the following services in Ireland have completed the training and are currently introducing / hosting Schwartz Rounds:
- Adult Mental Health Service, HSE CHO 5 Carlow Kilkenny
- Adult Mental Health Service | HSE CHO 5 Waterford Wexford
- Adult Mental Health Services, HSE CHO 7
- Beaumont Hospital
- Cavan and Monaghan Hospital
- Children’s Health Ireland at Tallaght
- Children’s Health Ireland at Temple
- Community HealthCare West – Roscommon CHO2
- Connolly Hospital Blanchardstown Dublin
- Cork University Hospital
- Laura Lynn Children’s Hospice
- Mayo University Hospital, Ireland
- Midland Regional Hospital, Tullamore
- National Ambulance Service (South Operational Area)
- Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda
- Our Lady’s Hospice & Care Services, Harold’s Cross and Blackrock Hospice
- Portiuncula University Hospital
- Resilience Care
- St. Michael’s House
- The Royal Hospital, Donnybrook, Ireland
- UL Hospitals Group
- University Hospital Galway / Saolta University Health Care Group
What are staff saying about Schwartz Rounds in Ireland?
Coming soon some stories from Schwartz Rounds team members…
Back to Schwartz Rounds Home Page