In June 2016, the HSE Quality Improvement Division and Human Resource Division established the National Staff Engagement Forum. It is the vision of members that the Forum will become a space for staff to bring their thoughts and ideas about how we can engage with each other more fully in our health service. We also hope that members will assist the health services to scope and develop a staff engagement strategy in the coming years. This work will directly influence and shape how we involve all staff in the design and delivery of services.
The Forum is designed to have a proportional representation of staff which reflects the current staff profile in the health service as shown in the 2015 Health Service Personnel Census. In total, there are 70 staff members from across health and social care services and there are a number of members from a strategic engagement leadership group committed to driving the change agenda. The Forum is co-chaired by Dr. Philip Crowley, National Director Quality Improvement and Rosarii Mannion, National Director, Human Resources. It is co-facilitated by Vera Kelly General Manager Organisation Design & Development Consultant, National HR Lead for Staff Engagement & CHO Development and Juanita Guidera, Quality Improvement Division Lead Staff Engagement.
To contact the Forum please get in touch via Breda O'Dowd / 091 775953. The National Staff Engagement Forum is a health service wide initiative.
The Role of Members
Members of the forum defined their own role. In joining the forum, each member agrees:
- To participate fully in each Forum meeting
- To share their individual experience and perspectives of staff engagement with the forum
- To provide a voice for staff who are not directly involved in the forum
- To increase awareness of the staff engagement forum in our own areas
- To identify drivers, barriers and potential solutions to challenges to staff engagement
- To be an agent of change within their own system.
The Purpose of the National Staff Engagement Forum
The members of the National Staff Engagement Forum defined their purpose as follows:
- To create a space for conversations about what matters to staff in terms of engagement and gather suggestions on how to improve it by building on existing approaches and continually looking for new ways to engage staff.
- To give a sense of ownership and personal responsibility for engagement, building positive and effective communication between all people regardless of their position.
- To share good examples of staff engagement.
- To provide feedback and advice to the health sector on improving staff engagement in the design and implementation of organisation wide initiatives and policies.
- To promote staff engagement throughout the health sector to create a positive working environment for staff and service users.
We look forward to the Forum becoming a place where ideas for creating a positive place to work can be heard and developed.
Take a look at our website page for a link to a video clip explaining what the Forum is about and how you can get more information.
Follow us on twitter for more ideas:
#engaginghealthstaff #SchwartzRounds #LiberatingStructures #culturalchange
People Caring with People - Engage Listen Inspire Act Share
Creating an organisation where together we have the potential and power to make a positive difference