Staff Engagement is a key driver of the Framework for Improving Quality in our Health Service - the importance of this work was not only highlighted in the Have Your Say Staff Survey 2014 but the benefits have been demonstrated extensively in international literature and research.
The National Staff Engagement Forum is currently developing a definition of staff engagement for the health sector. We’re looking forward to sharing this with you.
What is an engaged workforce?
(adapted from Gallup)
Benefits of Positive Staff Engagement
Reported benefits of staff engagement include:
- Positive service user and staff experience
- Better patient and service user outcomes
- Improve clinical quality and safety
- Increased staff productivity
- Improved communication
- Improved performance and effectiveness
- Services become more cost effective
- Improved public perception and confidence
- Knowing it's the right thing to do
Overarching Policy Context for Staff Engagement
- People Strategy 2015 - 2018
Priority Two: Staff have strong sense of connection to the service, take personal responsibility for achieving better outcomes and support team colleagues to deliver results
- Framework for Improving Quality in our Health Service 2016
An engaged workforce is one where staff are valued, listened to and provided with the tools, resources and skills to do meaningful work. The culture of an engaged organisation will facilitate and encourage participation and front line ownership by staff in the creative design, delivery and improvement of services and says thank you for a job well done.
- National Service Plan 2016
Establish positive and effective staff engagement as a keystone of quality improvement and person-centred care by partnering with services to develop and test methodologies, build organisational leadership capacity and share learning.
- HSE Corporate Plan 2015 - 2018
Goal 4: Engage, develop and value our workforce to deliver the best possible care and services to the people who depend on them.
- National Standards for Safer Better Healthcare
Theme 5: Leadership, Governance and Management
Theme 6: Workforce