We use cookies on this website. By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device.

Change your details

It is important to keep your details up to date. We can then keep in contact with you about your card. Let us know if your circumstances change, or if you want to change GP. 

Change of address

Let us know about a change of address through one of the following:

You will need to supply a copy of a utility bill, or similar, as proof of address.

Change your GP

Download and fill out the Change of GP form in English or Irish when you have changed GP. Post part 2 to us at:

Client Registration Unit
PO Box 11745
Dublin 11
D11 XKF3

Change in employment status

You may be able to keep your medical card if you start full-time work, after you have been unemployed for 12 months. You would need to have received a full rate social welfare payment for a continuous 12 month period.

If you start part-time work after you've been unemployed for 12 months or more, you may keep your medical card for 3 years.

If you begin a Government approved/sponsored incentive schemes (CE Schemes) you may continue to keep your medical card.

Dependent family members may qualify to keep their card, even if they become employed during this 3 year period.

If you receive the card for 3 years and continue working, eligibility will be assessed using the normal guidelines.

 If there are any changes to your employment status, contact us.

Adding a child to a medical card

LoCall 1890 252 919 or email client.registration@hse.ie with your child’s name, date of birth and PPS number. You will also need to provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate.

Change in circumstances

A change in circumstance can affect your entitlement to a medical card or GP visit card.

These include:

  • Diagnosis of a serious medical condition.
  • Recently becoming married, separated, or divorced.
  • Recently becoming widowed.
  • Your child/children no longer live with you.
  • You have a child under 6.
  • You are now over 70.

If any of these or any other changes affect your entitlement to a medical or GP visit card, please let us know.

If you were previously refused a medical card, you might now be entitled to one.
Please submit a new application.

If you have any questions call us on LoCall 1890 252 919.