Why use the COVID Tracker app
COVID Tracker is a free mobile phone app that will:
- store your EU Digital COVID Certificate
- give you advice on what to do if you have symptoms
- provide information about COVID-19 vaccination and case numbers
The app is no longer being used as part of contact tracing. It is no longer sending notifications or is no longer being updated with anonymous information about positive cases. This follows current public health advice and changes to contact tracing.
Where to get the app
Download the free app from the App Store for iPhone or the Google Play Store for Android.
You should be able to use the app if your phone:
- is less than 5 years old
- uses Apple's iOS 13.5 or higher or Google's Android 6.0 or higher
You will need to confirm you are 16 or older. This is the digital age of consent.
Store your EU Digital COVID Certificate
You can use the COVID Tracker app as a 'wallet' to store your EU Digital COVID Certificate securely on your phone.
To do this:
- Update your COVID Tracker app to the latest version in your app store.
- Scan the QR code on the certificate you get by email or in the post.
If you got your certificate by email, it's easiest to open it on another device. You can then use your mobile device to scan it.
The certificate is only stored on your phone. It is not shared with anyone. You can delete it at any time.
Updating your EU Digital COVID Certificate
When you get your updated certificate after your booster vaccine, delete your old certificate and then add your updated certificate to the app.
To do this:
- In the COVID Tracker app, tap 'View EU Compatible Digital Covid Cert'.
- Tap 'EU COVID Certificate detail'.
- Tap 'Delete', then 'Confirm'.
- Tap 'Register EU Digital COVID Certificate', then 'Scan EU Digital COVID Certificate'.
- Scan the QR code on your updated certificate - you may have to print it or open it on a separate device to do this.
Keep track of your symptoms
You can use the COVID check-in on the app to keep track of any symptoms of COVID-19 you have and get advice about them.
It's your choice if you want to track your symptoms or not. You do not have to track your symptoms for the other functions on the app to work.
Keeping track of your symptoms
Protects your privacy
The app is designed to protect your privacy at all times.
It's always your choice to:
- use the app, or not
- decide what information you want to share with us, or not
You are never asked for your name or address. The app does not track your location.
How we use your data and protect your privacy
Latest news and information
You can use the app to follow the latest facts and figures about COVID-19 in Ireland. You'll also be able to get information that will help you care for yourself if you are sick.
Put public health advice first
The COVID Tracker app has been designed to make the best use of the health advice and technology available.
It's still important to:
- get a COVID-19 vaccine and a booster dose when it's due
- wash your hands properly and often
- cover your mouth with a tissue or your sleeve when you cough or sneeze