DESMOND – Type 2 diabetes
DESMOND is a free programme for people with type 2 diabetes. It aims to provide you with a good foundation and practical skills to help manage your diabetes.
DESMOND stands for: Diabetes Education and Self-Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed Diabetes.
About the programme
It involves six hours of group education held over one full day, or two half days.
- Information is delivered by two trained healthcare professionals
- Groups have up to ten participants
- You may bring a partner or friend with you
The programme covers:
- Thoughts and feelings around diabetes
- Understanding diabetes and glucose: what happens in the body
- Understanding the risk factors and complications associated with diabetes
- Understanding more about monitoring and medication
- How to take control - Food Choices - Physical Activity
- Planning for the future
Location and contact
It is held in venues across Co. Donegal - to find a DESMOND programme near you please contact your diabetic nurse, dietitian, or Marie Boyce Senior Dietitian, DESMOND Coordinator on 086 417 6677.
Your GP, diabetic nurse or dietitian can refer you, or contact Marie Boyce, DESMOND Coordinator, Co Donegal: 0864176677
Note to healthcare professionals: Referral forms available on the Healthcare professionals page.