Children and Family Services in Cavan & Monaghan

Public Health Nursing
The public health nurse provides a range services free of charge to all pre-school and primary school going children. Some of these services will be automatically provided for example child health visits and school visits, however, additional support can be requested by contacting your local public health nurse.

Following the birth of your baby
The public health nurse will visit you within 48 hours of discharge from Hospital following the birth of your baby. She will continue to visit you during the pre-school period. During these visits she will provide advice and guidance in relation to:
● Food and diet including breastfeeding, bottlefeeding and weaning
● Immunisations
● Safety

She also carries out developmental screening and carries out the heel prick test if it is not already carried out in the hospital

School Age Children
The school nurse visits all schools and carries out vision and hearing screening for all primary school going children.

If your child is over 4 years of age and still bedwetting, you can contact your local public health nurse (see below) or your GP who will refer you to Eneuresis Clinic

Where do I contact my local Public Health Nurse?
Public Health Nurses work from local health centres. You can contact your local health centre if you wish to speak to the Public Health Nurse. |

Find a full list of health centres and contact information

Further Information
For further information on public health nursing contact the Public Health Nursing Department
● Cavan (049) 4373126
● Monaghan (047) 30477

Family Support and Child Protection Services
Child Protection & Welfare Services provide assessment and helping services to children and families who may have experienced serious emotional, physical sexual abuse or neglect. We support families where serious child welfare issues have been identified. We work in multidisciplinary teams made up of social workers, clinical psychologists, social care leaders and family support workers.

Contact details for a duty social worker can be found on:

More details of Tusla services can be found at:

Children First Information Officer:

We provide an information service to voluntary & statutory organisations to help them develop best child protection & welfare practice within their organisations.

- Cavan & Monaghan (047) 30475

We provide through non governmental organisations services when young people and their parents have been identified as requiring extra support including:

- Family Welfare Conferencing Service provided by Barnardos Contact: Regional Office, 159 Moneymore, Drogheda, (041) 9841868
- One-to-One & Group Support provided by Extern in Cavan
- One-to-One Youth Advocacy Services in Monaghan
- Neighbourhood Youth Project in Monaghan
- 2 Project Workers for families in Cavan provided through the County Child Care Committee
- Tearmann Domestic Violence Services in Cavan and Monaghan

Children in H.S.E. Care
The Children in Care team provide services to children in the care of the HSE. We are also responsible for the recruitment, assessment and training of all new foster Carers. We are multidisciplinary teams made up of social workers, clinical psychologists, social care leaders and family support workers.

For further information contact:
- Cavan (049) 4377305
- Monaghan (047) 30426

Area Medical Teams

The Area Medical Teams are made up of senior medical officers and medical officers. We provide the BCG vaccination service for counties Cavan and Monaghan in the local health centres. We also visit schools to give the BCG and Tetanus vaccinations.

Senior Medical Officers work with Public Health Nurses to check on a child's development from birth onwards, through a series of standard checks.

Medical Officers carry out the medical assessments on allowance applications such as the Domiciliary Care Allowance and Primary Medical Certificate. Senior Medical Officers also play a role in managing outbreaks of illness like measles and mumps.

Further Information
You can contact the Medical Officers at:
- Cavan (049) 4373149
- Monaghan (047) 30484


What is immunisation?
Immunisation is a simple, safe and effective way of protecting your child against certain diseases. Children and young people in Ireland are entitled to certain
vaccinations and immunisation services free of charge. These vaccines are provided in a range of settings: by your GP, in hospitals, at Health Centres, at home or at school.

Is immunisation free?
Vaccinations under the Childhood Immunisation Programme in Ireland are provided free of charge to all children. The childhood immunisation programme protects children from the following: Tuberculosis, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Whooping cough (Pertussis), HiB (Haemophilus influenzae B), Polio, Meningitis C, Measles, Mumps and Rubella.

Where can I get my child immunised?

The HSE recommends that all parents bring their children for immunisation, which is free from your GP. If you have any more questions or need more information, you can visit the HSE website - or speak to your GP or your Public Health Nurse in your Local Health Centre.

Specialist Palliative Care Services

Specialist Palliative Care refers to treatment and care that is given to people with life threatening illnesses. Palliative Care specialists help to improve quality of life for patients and their families.

The Specialist Palliative Care team try to help patients with their symptoms. For example some patients may suffer from pain, nausea, vomiting and other problems. The team works with patients and their primary care team so that patients and their families can enjoy the best quality of life possible.

Who needs Specialist Palliative Care?

Most people in Ireland receiving Specialist Palliative Care have cancer. However, people with other diseases such as heart disease, lung disease and Multiple Sclerosis may also benefit from Specialist Palliative Care.

I would like to be seen by the Specialist Palliative Care team. How do I organise this?

If you or a relative would like to be referred to the Specialist Palliative Care Team, then you should contact your GP. He or she can make the referral directly and arrange for you to be seen as quickly as possible.

If you are in hospital, you may be seen by the Specialist Palliative Care Team. In order for this to arranged, you must be referred by the consultant looking after you.

For more information contact:

Cavan and Monaghan Specialist Palliative Care Services
No 7, Aeta Place, Gortnakesh, Cavan (049) 4369900