Who we are
Chatterbox is an early intervention service (0-6 years). It is part of Cavan/Monaghan HSE Primary Care Speech and Language Therapy Department. Our goal is to prevent, identify early or minimise Speech, Language and Communication difficulties. Chatterbox works in close partnership with families. We also work alongside those from the statutory, community and voluntary sectors.
What we do
- Screening in preschools to identify speech and language needs
- Parental training courses
- Childcare staff training courses
- Informal support at community groups. These include Parent & Toddler and Breast Feeding groups
- Specific support in childcare settings for children with identified Speech,Language and Communication needs
- Involvement in parenting / childcare events within the community
- Home visits to support children at risk of developing Speech, Language and Communication difficulties
- Make onward referrals to other services
Why we do it
Early identification and intervention is important. Speech, Language and Communication skills can impact other areas of development. These areas include social, emotional, learning and behavioural development.
Children with unidentified Speech, Language and Communication difficulties may find school life more difficult.
The Chatterbox Service aims to help parents access Speech and Language Therapy support.
What can we help with
- Children who are late to talk
- Children who are hard to understand or have trouble saying their speech sounds
- Children who don’t follow instructions well (they may not understand)
- Children who have a reduced vocabulary
- Children who don’t talk in sentences
- Children who stammer (are non-fluent)
- Children with a continually hoarse voice
Want to know more
For further information on how to access the Chatterbox Service please contact Elizabeth Downey or Carmel Feely.
The Chatterbox Service (Cavan/Monaghan)
Monaghan Primary Care Centre
St. Davnet's Complex
Phone:047 30400 or 087 104 0984