Information on Children and Family Services in Kerry

Social Work
The Social Work team in the Local Health Office is responsible for providing support to children and families in this community. This involves Family Support Services, and care for older people. In cases where children are at risk of harm through abuse, Child Protection Social Workers have an important role in providing care, assessment and follow up to those children and their families, through the Fostering and Child Protection Teams.

Child Health
Area Medical Teams visit schools in the area to give vaccinations like the MMR, Meningitis C, Rubella etc. They also work with Public Health Nurses to check on a child’s development from birth onwards, through a series of standard regular checks. Area Medical Officers also play an important role in managing outbreaks of illness like measles or mumps in the area. You can contact the Area Medical Officers at:

Children Residential Service
The HSE South is required to make available to children who, for a variety of reasons, cannot live at home, accommodation that is suitable in meeting their needs. Most children looked after by the HSE live in family based care arrangements, but others require a degree of structure and care that can only be provided in a residential care setting. Residential care takes many forms, ranging from low support hostel style facilities to Special Care centres, where children have a high degree of supervision. The HSE South currently operates twelve Residential Centres across Cork and Kerry.

Children & Families Services
Child Care Information Unit  (021) 492 3826 
Family Centre  (021) 492 3302 
St. Finbarr’s Hospital Fostering  (021) 492 3025

Immunisation is a simple, safe and effective way of protecting your child against certain diseases. Children and young people in Ireland are entitled to certain vaccinations and immunisation services free of charge. These vaccines are provided by your GP, in Hospitals, at Health Centres, at home or at school.

For more information on immunisation talk to your GP Public Health Nurse at your local Health Centre, call the HSE info line 1850 24 1850 or visit -