Healthcare Co-operation across EU States

Persons ordinarily resident in Ireland

Planned Treatment Abroad:

Planned treatment abroad is accessed through the HSE Treatment Abroad Scheme (E112/S2) or the HSE Cross Border Directive Scheme.

Necessary Treatment Abroad:

A person's EHIC allows access in this circumstance

Persons no longer ordinarily resident in Ireland (people attached to the Irish Social Security System but living in another EU country)

Where a person is resident in another EU/EEA* member state but remains an insured person in Ireland (e.g. continuing to pay social security in Ireland) they may be entitled to healthcare abroad. (E106/S1, E121/S1).

Details of these forms are available through the HSE Overseas Section Tel: 01 6201816.

The Treatment Abroad Scheme, the EHIC and the Cross Border Directive are specific to the provision of healthcare in the EU/EEA*

*Switzerland have yet to complete the process to have the Directive apply to them.


Help us to improve our service by taking part in the surveys below. The content will load in a new browser window.

Help us improve


Contact Assistance Services


Report an Obstacle

Logo for Your Europe survey