Public Health Nursing Service
Public health nurses and community registered general nurses deliver care across the lifespan to, individuals, families and communities. The focus of the service is to promote health and well-being, protect the public and provide clinical nursing care to the population through the delivery of high-quality evidence-based nursing care.
The PHN/CRGN works as part of a multidisciplinary team based in local HSE health centres/primary care centres and delivers services in the home and clinic.
- To provide a PHN Service that is responsive to, and meets, the health and well-being needs, and clinical nursing needs, of individuals, families and communities.
- To provide a safe, high-quality, evidence-based, well-governed service that meets national standards.
- To work in collaboration with other members of the primary care team, Practice Nurses, the wider health and social care network teams, the acute, secondary and tertiary adult and children services, and with the national Child and Family Agency.
- To make the best possible use of information and communications technology to deliver a high-quality service.
- To support the development and implementation of relevant national policies.
- To achieve positive outcomes for the individual, the family and the community.
PHN Mission Statement
‘care commitment compassion’
Public Health Nursing Services aim to deliver safe, quality, and person-centred community nursing care across the lifespan: we are committed to promoting health and wellbeing and enabling people to live healthy and fulfilled lives.
PHN Service Information Leaflet and Visiting card
National Public Health Nursing Service Leaflet
Instructions on how to print Leaflet
PHN Visit Card
The followings documents are translations of a leaflet that explains the role of the public health nurse and the services that the PHN provides:
- Public Health Nurse information leaflet ARABIC (PDF, size 235 KB, 2 pages)
- Public Health Nurse information leaflet CHINESE (PDF, size 715 KB, 2 pages)
- Public Health Nurse information leaflet FRENCH (PDF, size 656 KB, 2 pages)
- Public Health Nurse information leaflet IRISH (PDF, size 302 KB, 2 pages)
- Public Health Nurse information leaflet ITALIAN (PDF, size 243 KB, 2 pages)
- Public Health Nurse information leaflet LITHUANIAN (PDF, size 655 KB, 2 pages)
- Public Health Nurse information leaflet POLISH (PDF, size 658 KB, 2 pages)
- Public Health Nurse information leaflet PORTUGUESE (PDF, size 657 KB, 2 pages)
- Public Health Nurse information leaflet ROMANIAN (PDF, size 661 KB, 2 pages)
- Public Health Nurse information leaflet RUSSIAN (PDF, size 655 KB, 2 pages)
- Public Health Nurse information leaflet SPANISH (PDF, size 650 KB, 2 pages)
- Public Health Nurse Information leaflet UKRAINIAN (PDF, size 659 KB, 2 pages)
PHN Induction December 2022
ADPHN Induction Booklet 2019 Version 1
HSE National Transition to Community Nursing Toolkit
Guidelines and Procedures
Procedure for managing Safe Transfer of Child Health Records in PHN Service
Guideline on the use of the Child and Family Health Needs Assessment Framework for the Public Health Nursing Service
Discharge of a patient from the Public Health Nurse caseload procedure December 2019
Management of Referrals Accepted to the PHN Caseload
National Caseload Prioritisation Procedure for Public Health Nursing
Medication Request and Administration record
Medicine Request and Administration Record for PHN services
Procedure for the completion of medicines request and administration record PHN service
FAQs Medicines Request and Administration Record for PHN services
Primary Care Metrics (PCM) FAQs for Director of Public Health Nurse (PHN)
Primary Care Metrics (PCM) FAQs for Assistant Director of Public Health Nurse (ADPHN)
Public Health Nurse Service Lower Leg Wound Learning Resource 2020
Public Health Nurse (PHN) Metrics Workbook 2023
Training Database, Documentation Audit and Caseload Review
PHN Documentation Audit 2021
PHN Annual Caseload Review 2021
Public Health Nurse Training Database
Public Health Nurse Training Database Guideline