This is non-fee paying model of care.
- Booking/pre-assessment visit: On your first visit to the hospital you will meet the midwife who will record your history and arrange the necessary blood tests with consent. Appointment dates for your scan and first antenatal visit with the consultant are arranged.
- Your antenatal visits will then be shared between your GP and the hospital. Antenatal clinics are held on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings in Cavan General Hospital and every second Monday and Thursday in St. Davnet’s Hospital, Monaghan.
- The usual schedule of visits to the hospital is 28, 32, 36, 38 and 40 weeks but this may vary.
- Antenatal classes are pre-arranged and available cross site.
- A team of doctors and midwives led by a Consultant Obstetrician provide care throughout your pregnancy and birth.
- During labour you will be cared for by a midwife who will liaise with the consultant team on call if any problems arise.
- Pain relief options include breathing gas and air, TENS machine, pethidine injection and epidural.
- Postnatal care is provided in a five-bedded ward.