About the Medicine Directorate
The Medicine Directorate is one of four directorates within UL Hospitals and provides inpatient and outpatient services. The Directorate structure is a new structure and was introduced in 2013. These directorates are the core structures through which all clinical services are delivered. Within each directorate there are a number of sub specialities and in medicine these are: gastroenterology, cardiology, nephrology, respiratory, dermatology, rheumatology, endocrinology, oncology haematology, palliative care, rapid assessment for urology and breast services. A full range of Out-patient, In-patient and Day Case Services are provided by the Directorate.
The Directorate Management Team
- Dr. Cornelius Cronin, Clinical Director
- Ms. Paula Cussen Murphy, Directorate Manager
- Ms. Mary O’Brien, Directorate Nurse Manager
- Mr. Jim Gallagher, Business Manager
- Ms. Una McCarthy, Clinical Governance Manager
- Ms. Joanne McNamara, Financial Accountant
- Ms. Cepta Hanley, HR Representative
- Ms. Susan Stack, Professionals Allied to Health Representative
- Ms. Deirdre Deers, Professionals Allied to Health Representative
Did you know we have…
- Department of Medicine for the Elderly:
- Cancer Services:
- Dermatology Services:
- A State of the Art Acute Coronary Care Unit and Cath lab which opened in January 2013. The Cath lab provides a service 24 hours a day 365 days a year for patients presenting with STEMI (ST elevation myocardial infarction). In 2014 we plan to open a Rapid Assessment Chest Pain clinic (RACP) which will use a multidisciplinary approach to the rapid treatment and management of patients with chest pain.
- Recently opened in May 2013 the newly refurbished Acute Medical Assessment Unit which streamlines patients presenting acutely unwell with medical conditions for assessment and patients are seen and treated by Consultants specialising in Acute Medicine. This service enables G.P.s to refer directly to this unit and avoid the Emergency Department.
- A 14 bedded dedicated Stroke unit was opened in ward 4C in November 2013. The Unit provides patients with specialised multidisciplinary treatment for the duration of their stay. Our stroke unit staff includes doctors, nurses, physiotherapists, a speech and language therapist, and an occupational therapist.
- Our Emergency department in Dooradoyle treats over 60,000 patients a year and is complimented by the Local Injury Units treating Minor Injuries and minor illnesses in Ennis, Nenagh and St John’s. Over the last 18 months three Advanced Nurse Practitioners have commenced and treat a number of minor injuries.
Department of Medicine for the Elderly:
The Department of Medicine for the Elderly provides a multi-disciplinary approach to all aspects of patient care and provides acute rehabilitation for many illnesses and disabilities affecting older people. The department provides inpatient and outpatient services across multiple sites.
Inpatient acute care for older patients are provided for those who have multiple and complex medical problems, including falls, immobility and confusion. It provides rehabilitation for those patients whose illness leads to functional deterioration with the goal of achieving independent living at home again.
The cancer services unit is a nationally designated cancer centre, one of 8 nationally. The service provides comprehensive treatments in radiotherapy, chemotherapy and supportive care of patients diagnosed with cancer using a multi-disciplinary approach.
A range of dermatology services are provided by 3 Consultants and Clinical Nurse Specialists. The services are delivered across the hospital group to enable patient access, and encompass surgical, daycare and OPD activity.
Range of Medicine Directorate Services Provided
This details the current organisational arrangements for inpatient Medical Wards.
|Ward 3A Clinical Nurse Manager: Margaret Kearney
||061 482133 / 2233
|Ward 3C Clinical Nurse Manager: Kathleen Holmes
||061 48 2162 / 2262
|Ward 3D Clinical Nurse Manager: Joan Dunne
||061 48 2159 / 2259
|Ward 4C Clinical Nurse Manager: Elizabeth Bulger
||061 48 2139 / 2239
|Ward 4B Clinical Nurse Manager: Julie Mc Cabe
||061 48 2692 / 2026
|Ward 6C Clinical Nurse Manager: Maura White
||061 58 5761 / 5760
|Ward AMU Clinical Nurse Manager: Bernadette Murphy
||061 48 5333 / 2561
|Acute CCU Clinical Nurse Manager: Marie Buckley
||061 48 2157
|Acute CCU Clinical Nurse Manager: Josie Dillon
||061 48 2157
|Cath Lab Clinical Nurse Manager: Breda Mc Dermott
||061 48 2682
Department of Medicine Educational Programmes