Palliative care is specialised medical care for people with serious illnesses. This type of care is focused on providing patients with relief from the symptoms, pain, and stress of a serious illness - whatever the diagnosis.
The goal is to improve quality of life for both the patient and the family.
Palliative care is provided by a team of doctors, nurses, and other specialists who work with a patient's other doctors to provide an extra layer of support. Palliative care is appropriate at any age and at any stage in a serious illness, and can be provided together with curative treatment.
The Palliative Care teamwork in close co-operation with Milford Hospice.
- Dr. Feargal Twomey – Consultant in Palliative Medicine
Contact Number: 061485846
- Dr. Marian Conroy- Consultant in Palliative Medicine
Contact Number: 061201702
Outpatient Clinic Times
Department of Palliative Care Clinic Schedule
|Mid Western Cancer Centre
||Palliative Medicine Clinic
Access to Our Services
Patients may be referred to the palliative care services if they have:
- been diagnosed with a life-limiting condition such as cancer, heart failure or motor neurone disease
- complex symptoms resulting from the condition or
- complex psychological or social needs related to the condition which persist despite the care being provided by other professionals
Referrals may be made for the purposes of providing advice and support for:
- symptom control
- psychological or social distress
- future care planning
- the provision of end of life care
Referrals to the Palliative Care team are made by the hospital consultant who is responsible for your care.
The palliative care team can help the medical team to refer patients to a hospice or the community palliative care service that covers the patient’s home area.
- Milford Car Centre-061485800 bleep 254
- Nurse Specialists:
- Dooradoyle:061 482726
- Ennis: 0656824464
- Nenagh: 06731491
- St. Johns Hospital: 06141582