Ionizing radiation has always been a part of the human environment. Along with natural radioactive sources present in the Earth's crust and cosmic radiation, man-made sources also contribute to our continuous exposure to ionizing radiation. (World Health Organization)
People are exposed to ionising radiation from multiple sources, and the following are the most common sources in Ireland are:
- Radon (natural)- the largest proportion of exposure for Irish population
- Medical radiation (human-made)
- Cosmic radiation from space (natural)
- Gamma radiation from the ground (natural)
- Radioactivity in food (natural)
For more information see the EPA website - health effects of Ionising Radiation.