HSE launches www.medicalcard.ie
- A safe, quick and easy online service to apply for a Medical Card
- Find out straight away if you’re eligible
- Completed applications will be processed in 15 working days
- Almost 440,000 applications were received by the National Medical Card Unit in 2017
Today, 15th January 2018, the HSE launches its new National Medical Card Online service, www.medicalcard.ie. This new service enables people for the first time to apply online for a Medical Card quickly and easily using our step by step guide.
Almost 440,000 applications were received by the National Medical Card Unit in 2017, so this new, streamlined service will bring great benefits for people in terms of turnaround times, convenience and security.
Users can find out if they are eligible for a Medical Card immediately, and if they are, their application will be processed in 15 working days. This online service conveniently allows applicants to scan and upload documents and other information, and no longer requires a visit to a GP to stamp paper forms.
5 year old Ella Treacy from Dublin was at the launch to help Minister for Health, Mr Simon Harris TD, Assistant National Director of HSE Primary Care Reimbursement and Eligibility, Anne Marie Hoey, and Director General of the HSE, Tony O’Brien, to launch the new service.
Speaking at the launch, Minister for Health, Mr Simon Harris TD, said:
“This is a very welcome new development by the HSE and is part of the ongoing streamlining and modernisation of the operation of the medical card scheme. Under the new system people will be able to make an online application for a medical card, which is faster and more convenient than the current paper based system. This puts the applicant at the centre of the process and I am sure will, in time, become the preferred method of application for many applicants, both first time and those seeking a renewal. I would urge anyone who needs to apply for a medical card to log on to the new system and see how easy it is."
Assistant National Director, HSE Primary Care Reimbursement and Eligibility - Anne Marie Hoey said:
“I am delighted to announce that people aged 16 years and older will be able to apply or renew their Medical Card eligibility using our new online service using their computer, tablet or mobile phone.
The launch of the National Medical Card Online service makes it as easy as possible for people to apply for Medical Card eligibility. This great new development brings considerable benefits for people in terms of turnaround times, convenience and security. Applications that are fully completed will be processed within fifteen working days.”
Benefits of new National Medical Card Online service:
- Our online system guides you through each step of the application process.
- Applicants can submit all supporting documentation digitally, including photographs of relevant material.
- Your GP will be able to accept you onto their panel via the online system.
- If we need to contact you about your application, we can email instead of writing to you.
- When you have submitted your financial details as part of the online application, we will tell you straight away if you qualify for a medical card.
- Complete application will be processed in 15 working days.
Full details about the National Medical Card Online service are available at www.medicalcard.ie
Last updated on: 15 / 01 / 2018