If you had COVID-19 at Christmas it may be time to seek your booster
· Register at hse.ie
Today (Friday, March 25th 2022), the HSE is urging everyone aged 12 years and older, who have not yet received their booster dose of COVID-19 vaccine to avail of it, if eligible to do so. Without the booster dose, people are at greater risk from severe illness from COVID-19.
Colm Henry, Chief Clinical Officer (CCO), HSE explains the importance of seeking a booster as soon as possible: “We have seen society opening up in recent weeks and we are again encouraging everyone, eligible for a booster dose to avail of it as soon as they can.”
“We also know there’s a large number of people, who had COVID-19 over Christmas and the New Year and they are now eligible for their booster dose. Getting a booster brings your protection from serious illness and hospitalisation back up to 90% after 2 weeks.”
When it is time for your vaccination, you can:
Children aged 12 – 15 years must attend their booster appointment with a parent or guardian. A parent or guardian will need to give consent for their child’s vaccination.
How long to wait before getting a booster?
After your first round of COVID-19 vaccination, you need to wait:
- 3 months (at least 90 days) if you are 16 or older
- 6 months (at least 179 days) if you are aged 12 to 15
- 3 months (at least 90 days) if you are aged 12 to 15 and have a weak immune system
- 3 months (at least 90 days) if you are aged 12 or older, have a weak immune system and had an additional dose
If you had COVID-19:
- If you had COVID-19 after your first round of vaccination, you should get your booster dose at least:
- 3 months after symptoms started or from your positive test result if you are 16 years or older
- 6 months after symptoms started or from your positive test result if you are aged 12 – 15.
What to bring?
Please bring a photo ID with you. ID can be included on the following passport, driver’s licence, Garda age card, student/school ID etc but if you ID doesn’t include your date of birth, please bring proof to DOB (e.g. your birth cert).
Meanwhile, we are strongly urging the parents/guardians of those aged 5 – 11 years old to consider getting a primary dose of COVID-19 vaccine for their child. Information on the COVID-19 vaccine for those aged 5 – 11 years is available on hse.ie.
Last updated on: 25 / 03 / 2022