HSE Press Release: Friday, 9th April 2021
As part of the HSE’s enhanced COVID-19 testing for local communities, 4 new ‘walk-in, no appointment necessary’ COVID-19 testing centres will open on Saturday, 10th April to actively look for cases of COVID-19.
The HSE continues to open asymptomatic walk-in centres in areas where the number of positive cases are particularly high. Increasing the number of people we test will help us better understand how and why the virus is spreading quicker in certain areas.
According to Niamh O’Beirne, HSE National Lead for Test and Trace: “Targeted community testing using PCR tests is highly effective and has already identified over 600 positive COVID-19 cases who would not have been identified without targeted asymptomatic testing”.
Working with the National Ambulance Service, we aim to carry out 300-500 COVID-19 tests per day at each walk-in centre. Our current COVID-19 testing pathway has the capacity to complete 25,000 PCR tests per day, based on NPHET recommendations.
You should use this free, walk-in COVID-19 testing service if you:
- are aged 16 years and over
- do not have symptoms of COVID-19 but would like to be tested
- live within 5k of the walk-in testing centre
- have not tested positive for COVID-19 in the last six months
- Remember, it’s 1 test per person
You must bring a photo ID with you and provide us with a mobile phone number so we can contact you with your results.
Social distancing measures will apply as people turn up for testing. If the waiting times are too long for you, you are welcome to come back on another day or time.
The testing centres will be open from 11am to 7pm. Specific opening dates are listed below.
Walk-in testing units will be open at the following locations:
Opening Saturday, 10th April:
- Mulhuddart, Dublin 15: Cumann Naomh Peregrine, Blakestown Road, D15 PW80, opens 7 days
- Limerick City: St Joseph’s Health Campus, 3 Mulgrave Street, Limerick, V94 C8DV, opens for 6 days
- Waterford: WIT College Street Campus, Cork Road, Waterford, X91 YO74, opens for 7 days
- Dublin 10: Ballyfermot Sports Complex, 33-39 Gurteen Road, Redcowfarm, Dublin 10, D10 K598, opens for 7 days
Finglas, Dublin 11: Coláiste Eoin, Cappagh Road, Finglas closes at 7pm on Sunday 11 April.
We are also providing free walk-in testing for third level students at University College Cork today Friday 9th April.
Do not go to the walk-in test centre if you have symptoms of COVID-19. These include a high temperature, a new cough, shortness of breath or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste. If you have any of these symptoms, self-isolate (stay in your room) and phone a GP (doctor) straight away. Your GP will tell you if you need a free COVID-19 test.
More information on COVID-19 walk in centres
Last updated on: 09 / 04 / 2021