It’s in everyone’s interest to make sure that a patient leaves hospital as soon as they’re ready.
There are benefits to patients, especially older people, in keeping their stay in an acute hospital to a minimum.
That’s why planning and working towards discharge must begin as soon as possible.
For staff in acute hospitals, your HSE colleagues in Cork Kerry Community Healthcare can support discharges through a range of services to support people at home.
In this video, your colleagues in the community explain the support available for discharge:
This handy wallet card contains all the contact details you need – you can download it here and display it on your ward Cork Kerry Discharge card.pdf (size 62.9 KB)
Here are the details of how you can contact each service mentioned in the card:
- Transitional Care Beds To organise an assessment, please make a referral directly to the appropriate discharge co-ordinator.
- Residential Care and Long Term Care Please make a referral directly to the appropriate discharge co-ordinator, and also continue to encourage families to start the Fair Deal process as soon as possible. Support available for families from: Nursing Home Support Oﬃce Tel: 021 492 3536. There’s also useful information to support those going through the process here.
- Home Support To help a patient access home support on discharge, please complete the application form available on the ward and contact the patient’s local public health nurse. The completed form can be sent to the patient’s local healthcare centre. Addresses and phone numbers for health centres and for public health nurses are available on your ward. There’s useful general information for the public at www.hse.ie/homesupportservices
- Interim Home Support To help arrange short-term home support in a patient’s home, please contact the appropriate discharge coordinator, who can make the referral.
- Integrated Care Team Contact: Catherine O’Mahony Case Manager Mobile: 087 094 4521
- Community Rehabilitation & Support Team Contact: Finola Cronin Tel: 021 492 3352
- Community Intervention Team Southwest CIT Tel: 1890 837427 Web: www.southwestcit.ie