This provides a basic overview of workplace chemical safety.
On successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Differentiate between hazardous/ non-hazardous chemicals
- Identify ways hazardous chemicals can enter the body
- Recognise Inventory chemicals; their hazards, uses, frequency of use, storage conditions and volumes
- Find information on chemical through the use of labels and SDSs
- Examine risk and determine possible risk reduction measures using the hierarchy of control
Online via www.hseland.ie
Topic 1: Understanding chemicals
Topic 2: Identifying the hazard
Topic 3: Chemical Safety in the Workplace
The programme takes approximately 30 minutes to complete
Assessment and Certification
Online assessment to be completed
Online certificate of completion will be issued - check
Mandatory training for employees who work with or who are at risk of exposure to chemicals in the workplace.
This is intended as an introductory module to chemical safety in the workplace. The Health and Safety Authority has also developed a follow-on module entitled chemical safety in the workplace – Level 2 which provides more detailed information on chemical hazards. This module can be accessed also be accessed on HSElanD.
Health and Safety Authority
Additional training may be required due to the complexity of the hazards, risk process and controls (including local emergency/ spillage procedures) in your workplace. These additional needs should be identified by each line manager in consultation with their staff through the Training Needs Assessment process