New Ergonomics Contract now available.
We are delighted to inform all services that an Ergonomic contract has been agreed and is now available.
The purpose of the Ergonomist Services is to:
- Provide expert advice and assistance to staff experiencing ergonomic difficulties in their work environments.
- Provide recommendations around problem solving, risk assessing, utilisation and where necessary the procurement of ergonomic equipment
- Provide ergonomic training in setting up work stations/ work systems
- Provide comprehensive assessments and reports on the findings that are reasonable, realistic and achieve the desired result.
This existing risk assessment process of the HSE must be completed before consideration to engage the services of the Ergonomist. Manager approval will be required as costs will be borne by the engaging service.
For more information see: Fast Fact Ergonomics
New Chemical Safety eLearning Programme “Managing Health and Safety in Healthcare: Chemical Agent Hazards” is now available at HSElanD.
We are delighted to launch this introductory course developed by the Health and Safety Authority. The course provides information on the identification and risk assessment of chemicals in the workplace. This course will take approximately 40-60 mins to complete and is available at www.hseland.ie. The course is for managers, staff and health and safety representatives.
On successful completion of this course you should be able to:
- identify chemical agent hazards that exist in the healthcare environment
- identify ways in which healthcare employees are exposed to chemical agents in the workplace
- outline the steps involved in a chemical risk assessment
- describe measures used to safeguard healthcare employees from the effects of hazardous chemicals
Specialised training may be required in respect of certain chemicals and work processes, which should be identified through the Training Needs Assessment process by each line manager and their staff. Please see National Health and Safety Function FAQ 014:02 for further information or contact the health and safety helpdesk.
New Training Booking Process Introduced:
As part of our efforts to continually improve our services, we are pleased to announce the introduction of a new, improved and simplified booking and cancelation process for Health and Safety Courses.
Booking forms are now fully integrated into the self-service Helpdesk – simplifying the process for you. Line Managers can easily book/cancel training for individuals or groups of staff, maintain records and monitor the progress of submitted training requests.
NHSF Information Sessions:
The National Health and Safety Function provides high-quality, centralised resources that motivates, enables and empowers managers and staff to discharge their legal and moral duties with regard to Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Management.
We deliver support and advice to you by providing;
- A website with a suite of resources and documentation available
- A self-service helpdesk, which acts as a single point of contact for all your OSH requests
- Occupational Safety and Health Policy development
- An Audit programme
We are delivering information sessions to assist managers in implementing an effective health & safety management programme. The aim of these information sessions is to inform managers of:
- the benefits of accessing the help desk/website
- resources available
- how to access the information available on the website
- how to log a request to the help desk & explanation of the process involved
- key topics/emerging trends to the help desk.
The information session can offer managers an opportunity to discuss any health & safety issues pertaining to their area. Should you wish to book an information session in your area (min attendance 20 managers): Please email your name, CHO/Hospital Group, job title and contact details to Kathleen.OHanlon@hse.ie
European Health and Safety Campaign:
"Healthy Workplaces for All Ages" for 2016-2017 commences on the 24th of October. In Ireland and Europe the workforce is going to have to stay in employment longer. For all workers this means we must ensure that throughout our working life we remain fit, healthy and safe.
The HSE is supporting this campaign be providing relevant information and resources which can be accessed here. In summary, what you do now will influence who you are in the future, so plan your retirement, stay active and eat healthily. Click here for further information.
New H&S E-learning training programme launched:
The National Health and Safety Function have developed an online training programme entitled “Managing Health and Safety in the Healthcare Setting”. The programme provides managers with the appropriate information and guidance on the core responsibilities and action required to implement a safety management programme within their area of remit. This programme is mandatory for managers, department heads and all those with responsibility for safety health and wellbeing within the HSE (HSE Memo; Workplace Safety and Health Management, 28th September 2016) and is available on HSELanD.
The software required to access the Managing Health and Safety in a Healthcare Setting E-Learning Programme is IE 9. Users experiencing difficulties should contact HSELanD for support by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. To see how to access this health and safety programme please click here.
We would like to introduce our latest site developement called "FAST FACTS". Fast Facts provide a brief overview of various health and safety topics to support our managers, employees, safety representatives and others. Why not review these documents at your safety committees/departmental meetings?. These documents can be accessed by clicking on the Guideline, Safety Advisory Guidance Notes and Fast Facts button