Find Health Services


Need help?

Call our Infoline

on 1850 24 1850


Overseas Candidates


While the HSE is an equal opportunities employer, in line with current Department of Enterprise, Jobs and Innovation work permit requirements, applications from non European Economic (EAA), Bulgarian or Romanian citizens will only be considered in the event that an EAA citizen cannot be found to fill a vacancy. However, we welcome applications from holders of the following documents;

  • Work Visa
  • Work Permit
  • Work Authorisation

EEA nationals who do not require work permits / visas / authorizations are nationals of the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland.

Bulgarian and Romanian nationals will continue to require a permit to take up employment in Ireland and the job will continue to be subject to the current requirement for a labour market test.  Bulgarian and Romanian nationals who are already in the Irish State on a valid employment permit for an uninterrupted period of 12 months or longer prior to the 31st December 2006 will not need an employment permit.

Candidates from outside the European Economic Area or who are Bulgarian or Romanian Nationals

In order that we can process your application it will be necessary for you to submit the following scanned documentation:

  1. A scanned copy of your permission to work in this state.
  2. A scanned copy of your passport showing your identification and immigration stamp showing you have permission to be in this state.

 Please note:

  • If you are the holder of a Garda National Immigration Bureau Card- Stamp 4 you must also submit a scanned copy of your Passport pages showing your identity details and the Immigration Stamp showing that you have permission to be in this state.
  • Residents in Ireland entitled to work in the state on the basis of their spouse’s work permit obtained prior to 1 June 2009 may apply.   Candidates of this nature must submit the following documentation:

- Candidate’s resident visa
- Spouses work permit

  • If your Spouse obtained their first Work Permit on or after 1 June 2009 you will be required to submit scanned copies of:

- Your own permit/authorisation to work in this state
- Passport pages showing your identity and Immigration Stamp

Applications that are not accompanied by the above documents where necessary will be considered incomplete and will not be processed any further. This means that your application will not be submitted for the ranking exercise and subsequent invitation to interview.

For more details on EEA countries please see below or visit the Department of Enterprise Jobs and Innovation website