Tallaght University Hospital
Tallaght University Hospital provides access for patients to over 20 medical and surgical specialities, with comprehensive on-site Laboratory and Radiology support services. Currently, there are 495 adult beds and 67 paediatric beds, 12 theatres and 14 critical care beds in operation. The Hospital has in excess of 420,000 patient attendances a year and has one of the busiest Emergency Department nationally with a catchment population of approximately 450,000 people (80% of which are located in South Dublin and parts of Kildare).
It serves approximately 200 General Practitioners in surrounding communities. In addition, Mental Health services operate an on-site inpatient unit under HSE governance structures, with close operational alignment to Tallaght adult services. The Campus is 31 acres in size, with significant future development capacity.
Tallaght University Hospital have a diverse and experienced team of staff, employing over 3,000 people from over 40 different countries across the world, and annual gross expenditure is in excess of €0.25bn.
Trinity Health Ireland (THI) collaborative agreement underpins Tallaght Hospital’s valued collaborative relationships with Trinity College Dublin (TCD), St. James’s Hospital, and the Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital. The recent relocation of the Institute of Population Health (TCD) proximal to the Hospital has afforded additional collaborative opportunities.
This collaborative approach is also reflected in the Hospital’s Clinical Services Strategy (2016-2018) with a focus on how the Hospital can best contribute as part of the Dublin Midlands Hospital Group and the Children’s Hospital Group (CHG) to improving access for patients to the services they need.
Tallaght University Hospital opened in 1998 through the combining of three independent voluntary hospitals: the Adelaide, the Meath and the National Children’s Hospital (NCH). Founded in 1839, the Adelaide Hospital was famous for its nursing school - the Meath Hospital. The oldest voluntary hospital and the oldest university teaching hospital in the country, it was founded in 1753. The NCH, the first dedicated children’s hospital in Ireland and Britain, was founded in 1821. The Adelaide, the Meath and the NCH have a long and proud history of providing specialist services to patients in Dublin. Many of Tallaght Hospital’s core strengths today originated from national and regional specialist services developed in these base hospitals, including; Urology, Orthopaedics, Nephrology and General Paediatric services.
“Tallaght University Hospital welcomes the Dublin Midlands Hospital Group strategy 2018 - 2023 and the opportunities it presents for improving patient access and the collaborative development of services across the Group”
Mr. David Slevin, CEO, Tallaght Hospital on the publication of the Dublin Midlands Hospital Group Strategy 2018 -2023