Best-value biological medicines
The Medicines Management Programme has identified best-value biological (BVB) medicines for TNF-α inhibitors under the High Tech Arrangement.
The MMP recommends the following BVB medicines for adalimumab and etanercept:
o Citrate-containing: Idacio, Imraldi
o Citrate-free: Amgevita, Hulio
- Etanercept: Benepali
Clinicians should give due consideration to the prescription of these agents when prescribing a TNF-α inhibitor. Implementation of the BVB medicines will lead to significant savings for the health service, in the order of millions of euros.
Resources to support prescribing of the BVB medicines are located in the Related Files section below:
- Questions and Answers for Healthcare Professionals
- MMP Product Information Sheets for Amgevita, Benepali and Imraldi
- Contact information for MMP support
- Contact information for patient support services for Amgevita, Benepali and Imraldi
- Templates for switching letters for Amgevita, Benepali and Imraldi
From 1 February 2020, it is HSE policy that all adult patients who are commencing treatment with adalimumab or etanercept should be prescribed a best-value biological (BVB) medicine. Further information in relation to this can be found here.