Best-value biological medicines
The Medicines Management Programme has completed the evaluation process for the identification of the best-value biological (BVB) medicines for TNF-α inhibitors on the High Tech Drug Scheme.
The MMP recommends the following BVB medicines for adalimumab and etanercept:
* Adalimumab: Imraldi. Where the clinician wishes to prescribe a citrate-free formulation of adalimumab, the MMP recommends Amgevita.
* Etanercept: Benepali
Clinicians should give due consideration to the prescription of these agents when prescribing a TNF-α inhibitor. Implementation of the BVB medicines will lead to significant savings for the health service, in the order of millions of euros.
Resources to support prescribing of the BVB medicines are located in the Related Files section below:
- Questions and Answers for Healthcare Professionals
- MMP Product Information Sheets for Amgevita, Benepali and Imraldi
- Contact information for MMP support
- Contact information for patient support services for Amgevita, Benepali and Imraldi
- Templates for switching letters for Amgevita, Benepali and Imraldi