What is a community of practice?
A community of practice (CoP) is a group of people who
- share a common concern, a set of problems, or an interest in a topic.
- Interact on an ongoing basis- communicate, connect and conduct community activities.
- focus on sharing best practices and creating new knowledge to advance a domain of professional practice (Ref: Wenger 1998)
"The purpose of the Schwartz Rounds Community of Practice is to share experiences, improve practice & support, sustain & advance Schwartz Rounds".
- Provide a protected, psychologically safe space.
- Be respectful of other members, their stories, their views.
- Listen, support other members to have a voice.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Actively participate within the community of practice
- Practice the ethos of Schwartz Rounds
Ways of Working
CoP for people who are currently involved in rolling out Schwartz Rounds – Clinical Leads, Facilitators, Administrators and Steering Committees members
- Topics to be generated through sharing ideas in general forum and breakouts rooms
- Feedback from PoC events
- Synopsis of new research and Schwartz Rounds internationally
- Mentor each other
How to join
If you are a Clinical Lead, facilitator, administrator or Steering Committee member and are running Schwartz Rounds in your organisation in Ireland and would like to join our Schwartz Round CoP, please contact us by emailing Anne Marie Heffernan.
Schwartz Rounds Online Community Events (run by the Point of Care Foundation UK)
These are facilitated online sessions, free to attend and you can register for up to three events; however, you must register to reserve your place. This year the SR Community Events are running from 18th of March to 16th of November. If you missed the notification that we sent you about Community Events, you can use this link to check available dates and register your interest with the PoCF
For more information:
Caroline Lennon-Nally, National Quality and Patient Safety Directorate, Co-ordinator Schwartz Rounds
Anne Marie Heffernan, National Quality and Patient Safety Directorate, Schwartz Rounds Administrator