Clinical Handover: An Inter-disciplinary Education Programme (2017)
· Clinical Handover: An Inter-disciplinary Education Programme (2017)’ is a quality improvement initiative supported by the Office of the Nursing and Midwifery Services Directorate (ONMSD) and the Nursing and Midwifery Planning and Development Units (NMPDUs), Dublin South, Kildare & Wicklow (DSKW) and the Midlands region.
· The education programme facilitates nursing, midwifery and healthcare assistant staff within all clinical settings to implement best practice clinical handover processes.
· It supports the utilisation of recognised communication tools to inform clinical handover as recommended by the National Clinical Guideline on Communication (Clinical Handover) in Acute and Children’s Hospital Services, National Clinical Guideline No 11. (NCG11, NCEC, DoH, 2015). These tools include ISBAR3 to support inter-departmental and shift clinical handovers and ISBAR to support communication in relation to a deteriorating patient.
How to use the Programme:
· Incorporating reflection, discussion and group work, the four hour education programme is facilitator-led and delivered within the clinical setting.
· It includes video recordings of scenarios which illustrate examples of best and existing practices by providing a practical demonstration of the principles of using a structured, standardised approach to clinical handover.
· Use of role play and vignettes provide participants the opportunity to consolidate the knowledge obtained and reflect on clinical handover processes.
· Delivery of the programme is supported by a Facilitator Resource Manual and a Participant Workbook.
· The programme has received NMBI (Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland) Category 1 Approval and has been awarded 4 CEU’s (Continuing Education Units).
· Further details can be obtained by contacting Denise Doolan NMPD Officer, NMPDU, Dublin South, Kildare and Wicklow by email at email@example.com. Acknowledgement is given to the ONMSD, NMPDU DSKW & Midlands and the staff who participated in the video recordings for their support in the development of this education programme. Further details and references are available on request.
Clinical Handover is explained in detail in these Youtube videos
Clinical Handover Part 1 Introduction
Clinical Handover Part 2a Existing Practice Shift Clinical Handover
Clinical Handover Part 2b Best Practice Shift Clinical Handover
Clinical Handover Part 2c HCA Best Practice Shift Clinical Handover
Clinical Handover Part 2d Meet & Greet Hello My Name is Shift Clinical Handover
Clinical Handover Part 3a Existing Practice Inter Departmental Clinical Handover
Clinical Handover Part 3b Best Practice Inter Departmental Clinical Handover
Clinical Handover Part 4a Existing Practice Communication in Relation to a Deteriorating Patient
Clinical Handover Part 4b Best Practice Communication in Relation to a Deteriorating Patient
Clinical Handover Part 5a Implementing Change ISBAR3 and ISBAR
Clinical Handover Part 5b Implementing Change Supporting Resources
Clinical Handover Part 5c Implementing Change Best Practice Concepts
Clinical Handover Part 6 Consolidating Change Group Work
Clinical Handover Part 7 Conclusion