Improvement is everyone’s role and responsibility. This guide will help to support the ongoing learning and professional development of all staff both clinical and non-clinical by providing a list of improvement knowledge and skills which can help to educate, train and guide staff on how to deliver improvement in the health service.
The purpose of the guide is to:
Assist individuals to self-assess their:
- current knowledge and skills in relation to improvement
- learning and development needs for current or future roles
- Assist hospital groups, community healthcare organisations and the national ambulance service to assess and build improvement capability and capacity that enable staff to participate in and lead improvement initiatives
- Assist health sector trainers, third level colleges, institutions and professional bodies to design academic curricula and education and training programmes for improvement
The improvement knowledge and skills are structured around the six drivers of the Framework for Improving Quality and the four levels of the learning and development journey in improvement.
Fig 1: Learning and Development Journey in Improvement
Click on the relevant links below for example for Everyone, Team, Champion or Advisor to view the improvement knowledge and skills that are most applicable to you. To aid your learning and development, many of the knowledge and skills listed have active links to resources which will provide you with more information.
To assess your current knowledge and skills and identify areas for development:
- Print off the section of the guide relevant to you for example - Everyone, Team , Champion or Advisor
- Using the development assessment tool, follow the scale bellow to assess your learning and development needs and tick as appropriate against the knowledge and skills listed.
- Confident: I feel confident about my knowledge and skills in this area
- Some development: I require some development in my knowledge and skills in this area
- A lot of development: I require a lot of development in my knowledge and skills in this area
- There is a Personal Development Plan page at the end of each section where you can summarise your development actions.