16 November 2017
National Immunisation Advisory Committee Recommendations for the 2017/2018 Influenza Vaccination Campaign
Please note the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) has updated the Influenza chapter of the Immunisation Guidelines and changed the recommendation about the number of doses of influenza vaccine for cancer patients
- Influenza vaccination is strongly recommended annually for all cancer patients.
- If a person receiving chemotherapy has not received influenza vaccine 2 weeks or more before commencing treatment, the vaccine should be given during chemotherapy.
- If a person given the vaccine during chemotherapy finishes their treatment during the same influenza season, they should be given a second dose at least 4 weeks after the first dose regardless of whether they have received influenza vaccine in previous seasons.
- Two doses of influenza vaccine 4 weeks apart are required for those in the following groups receiving the vaccine for the first time:
- Children from 6 months to under 9 years of age
- Adults and children aged 9 and older who are:
- Post haematopoietic stem cell transplant
- Post solid organ transplant
- All others require one dose of influenza vaccine.
The following information materials are available for the 2017/2018 influenza campaign
Information is also available from the following websites
HSELanD eLearning Programme
An eLearning Programme "The Flu Vaccine - Its a Lifesaver" is now available for all HSE staff and staff from HSE Funded Services on HSELanD.
The module has been developed by the Workplace Health and Wellbeing Unit to educate and inform healthcare workers about the flu vaccine.
If you have any comments or queries about the module please contact the Workplace Health and Wellbeing Unit at email@example.com
Medicine Protocols and Training Materials
The following Medicine Protocols and training materials were provided to the National Immunisation Office by the Office of the Nursing and Midwifery Services Director.
Please click on the links below for Flu Medicine Protocols for the 2017/2018 season
Please click on the links below for the Flu Medicine Protocols training materials for the 2017/2018 season
Any queries related to these protocols should be directed to the Office of the Nursing and Midwifery Services Director.
National Flu Conference presentations - April 24 2017
This page was updated on 22 February 2018