Plays an important role in primary health care, working as part of the multi-disciplinary team to meet the health needs of individuals, families and the community. Occupational Therapists work with individuals with disabilities, illness or injury to help them maintain or achieve independence in their daily living tasks.
Role of the Primary Care Occupational Therapist:
- Functional assessments at home
- Recommendations re housing/environmental adaptations
- Advice re local authority grant system/OT functional reports
- Advice and provision of specialist and enabling equipment to optimise safety/independence **
- Wheelchair assessment and seating provision
- Advice for pressure relief relevant to seating
- Assessments for hoists and other manual handling equipment provision
- Carer advice and support
- Onward referral to Occupational Therapy Specialists as required
- e.g. paediatrics, specialised seating units (e.g. Enable Ireland)
*The provision of assistive equipment and environmental adaptations can increase a person's ability to perform valued activities of daily living.
*The type of equipment required depends on the person's needs and advice of the local Occupational Therapist should be sought.
**You must be a medical card holder to avail of equipment.
You can self refer to the service
Contact the duty occupational therapist at 2366207 between 9am and 10am Monday to Friday for general queries. OR through your GP or Public Health Nurse.
**People will be seen on a priority basis and waiting times may arise**
Visit our School Age Team for information on services for children age 5-18 or see our useful resources page for tips, links and much more
Check out our Dietitian page for lots of healthy eating tips, factsheets and more or join our free XPERT Diabetes Programme
Our older persons section has information on the Nursing Homes Support Scheme, your Benefits and Financial Entitlements,
how to Protect yourself from falls, Protecting Older People, and more.
For tips on exercise see www.getirelandactive.ie or join our weight management programme PHEW.
Visit www.healthpromotion.ie to download or order our free Back Care Book or our Chair Based Exercise Programme
See http://freedemliving.com/ for short videos on Dementia and memory loss
Charity providing friendship to the elderly
Information on Dementia
Information on Arthritis
Care & Repair Programme- Age Action Charity for older people