The Social Work service available is provided by 8 full time social workers, one of whom is also the Principal/ Interim Head Social Worker. The ethos of the mental health social work department is to work in a respectful partnership with you, your carers, and your family to promote recovery, challenge inequality and promote positive risk taking when appropriate.
The social workers work collaboratively as part of the Community Mental Health Team; this includes day hospital sessions with you and your family, out-patient clinic appointments , joint assessments with other team colleagues / and home visits in the community as well as inpatient work in Valentia/ Reask Wards of University Hospital Kerry.
The scope of social work interventions consist of
- Individual work with you and your family (assessment of risk and environmental impacts on health and wellbeing and providing assistance with coping skills, communication skills, and emotional support).
- Anti stigma/discriminatory input (promoting equal access to good housing, education, entitlements and benefits for you).
- Collaborative work to promote your social inclusion with statutory services or non-goverment agencies such as:
- Kerry County Council
- Child & Family Services
- Probation estate
- Money Advice and Budgeting Service
- Vincent de Paul
Referral to social work service are varied and can include the following:
- Child care concerns
- Domestic Violence
- Elder Abuse
- Financial /Entitlement issues
- Impact of addiction on you and your family
- Educational support sessions
In addition , some social workers have additional training in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Family Behavioural therapy and can provide you and your family with these interventions when necessary.