HSE Media Release: 24 March 2021
As part of the HSE’s enhanced COVID-19 testing for local communities, five new ‘walk-in, no appointment necessary’ COVID-19 testing centres will open on Thursday, 25th March to actively look for cases of COVID-19.
The HSE is opening the walk-in centres in areas where the number of positive cases is particularly high. Increasing the number of people we test will help us better understand how and why the virus is spreading quicker in certain areas.
According to Niamh O’Beirne, HSE National Lead for Test and Trace:
“Around 1 in 5 people have no symptoms of COVID-19 and can spread it without knowing. We would urge people living near a walk-in test centre and who are concerned about COVID-19, to get a free test today”.
Testing people with no symptoms will help us find positive cases earlier and allow these people to take the necessary action to protect others. This will help us break chains of transmission.”
Working with the National Ambulance Service, we aim to carry out 300-500 COVID-19 tests per day at each walk-in centre. Our current COVID-19 testing pathway has the capacity to complete 25,000 PCR tests per day, based on NPHET recommendations.
You can use this free, walk-in COVID-19 testing service if you:
- are aged 16 years and over
- do not have symptoms of COVID-19 but would like to be tested
- live within 5k of the walk-in testing centre
- have not tested positive for COVID-19 in the last six months
You must bring a photo ID with you and provide us with a mobile phone number so we can contact you with your results.
The testing centres will be open from Thursday, 25 March to Wednesday, 31 March from 11 am to 7 pm.
Social distancing measures will apply as people turn up for testing. If the waiting times are too long for you, you are welcome to come back on another day or time.
Walk-in testing units will be open at the following locations:
- National Indoor Arena, National Sports Campus, Snugborough Road, Dublin, D15 EPN4 (opposite the National Indoor Arena).
- Tallaght Stadium – Tallaght, Dublin 24 – D24FNK6.
- Irish Town Stadium – Irishtown, Dublin 4 – D04KN77.
- Tullamore Leisure Centre - Tullamore – R35A594.
- Grangegorman Primary Care Centre car park, (Entrance off NCR)-beside TUD campus - D07VPT0.
If you have symptoms of COVID-19 do not go to the walk-in test centre if you any common symptoms of COVID-19.
These include a high temperature, a new cough, shortness of breath or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste.
If you have any of these symptoms, self-isolate (stay in your room) and phone a GP (doctor) straight away. Your GP will tell you if you need a free COVID-19 test.
Last updated on: 24 / 03 / 2021