The Department of Colorectal Surgery provides diagnosis and management of gastrointestinal diseases. We provide multidisciplinary care of a inflammatory bowel disease and gastrointestinal cancers.
- Limerick is one of the eight national colorectal cancer centres.
- Ennis is one of 12 national bowel screening centres for bowel cancer.
Limerick is one of the busiest colorectal cancer center in the country. We have specialty expertise in the management of colorectal cancers by minimally invasive techniques (keyhole) and 85% of cancers are removed in this way. this means a quicker recovery for patients and improved outcomes with less complications. Our recently opened state of the art minimally invasive theatre facilitates these surgeries.
- All our cancer patients are managed by the Gastrointestinal/oncology multidisciplinary team with onsite access to specialist radiotherapy and oncology.
- All our cancer care is audited and monitored by NCSS to meet international standards.
- We have strong links with international colorectal cancer units in the United States namely the Cleveland Clinic Ohio, and John Hopkins in Baltimore where some of our surgeons trained.
- We publish internationally 20 research papers per year and have a research team based in the University of Limerick investigating colorectal cancer. With the cooperation of our patients we have managed to establish a large collection of colorectal cancer samples which is helping our researchers in the fight against colorectal cancer.
- In tandem with our gastroenterology colleagues we provide a full range of surgical options for the management of inflammatory bowel disease including laparoscopic pouch for Ulcerative colitis, and laparoscopic bowel resection for Crohns disease.
- We also provide surgery for the management of pelvic floor disorders including Laparoscopic rectopexy and sphincter repair.
- Mr. David Waldron
- Mr. Eoghan Condon
- Professor Calvin Coffey
- Mr. M.S. Mahmood (Locum Mr. Ali)
Senior Registrars 2013/2014
- Mr. Justin Kelly MD
- Ms. Mary Dillion MD
Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Ms. Mary Ahern, Stomatherapist
- Ms. Brid Allis, Stomatherapist
- Ms. Emma McNamara, Colorectal Co-Coordinator
Outpatient Clinic Times
Outpatient clinics are facilitated in Surgical OPD 1 at University Hospital Limerick, Dooradoyle.
- Ms. Anne Flannery 061-482330 (Mr. Waldron)
- Ms. Patricia O Sullivan 061 482848 (Mr. Condon)
- Ms. Barbara Hayes 061-482614 (Prof Coffey)