Making a Request under the 2014 Freedom of Information Act
How do I make an FOI request ?
- You must make a request in writing using the following form.
- You must state that the request is being made under the Freedom of Information Act 2014.
- You must state clearly the exact records/information being requested, supplying as much detail (i.e. service location, dates of treatment etc) as possible.
- You must state clearly the manner in which access is sought, for example, to view the original in an HSE location or to receive photocopies of the original, hear / view audiovisual record, obtain a copy of a computer disk or other electronic device etc.
- Make sure you sign the form.
- Supply proof of identity in the case of personal information.
- The HSE will accept requests by letter, fax, e-mail, web mail, or by using the HSE’s FOI application form.
- Download the HSE's Freedom of Information Application Form.doc (size 38.4 KB)
These forms are also widely available throughout the HSE’s hospitals, health centres and offices.
Send the FOI Request to the most appropriate person listed.
Action of the HSE
- All staff will be happy to assist you in making your FOI application.
- You will receive an acknowledgment of the request within 10 working days.
- The HSE will issue a decision to you within 20 working days upon receipt of the request.
- Notification will be sent to you, if an extension is necessary to facilitate the completion of the request.
- If you are unhappy with the decision made you may send an appeal to the Internal Reviewer, named in the Decision Letter. This review is independent of the initial Decision Maker’s decision.
- Acknowledgment of receipt of the appeal will be sent to you within 5 working days.
- A completed decision on your appeal will be sent to you within 15 working days.
- If you are unhappy with the Internal Reviewer’s decision you may appeal directly to the Information Commissioner (www.irlgov.ie/oic) where an independent review of the matter will be carried out
Text of the FOI Act 2014 : The FOI Central Policy Unit (CPU) at the Department of Public Enterprise and Reform (DPER) has prepared and published the 2014 FOI Act. It is not and does not purport to be a legal interpretation or a restatement.
CPU CODE & Guide: The Central Policy Unit at the Department of Public Enterprise and Reform has developed a short Guide to the Freedom of Information Act 2014. This link goes to the Department of Public Enterprise and Reform http://foi.gov.ie/
The 2014 Act is also available for download as pdf files
Freedom of Information Act 2014 http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2014/a3014.pdf This link goes to the Houses of the Oireachtas website