The Trauma Review Implementation Group
The Trauma Review Implementation Group (TRIG) is the steering group which was established by the HSE to progress the four immediate actions identified in the report of the Trauma Steering Group. The TRIG is comprised of clinicians, managers and key stakeholders across the healthcare system. The four immediate actions were:
- Appoint a National Clinical Lead for Trauma Services to lead a National Office for Trauma Services and manage the implementation of the trauma system
- Implement bypass protocols for patients with orthopaedic trauma injuries and major trauma
- Designate the Major Trauma Centre for the Central Trauma Network
- Develop costings for the trauma system.
A key step to deliver the trauma system is the designation of the Major Trauma Centre for the Central Trauma Network. The report recommends that each of the Hospital Groups in the Dublin region be invited to put forward submissions for their hospitals to be designated as the Major Trauma Centre. To facilitate this process, the TRIG developed a designation framework. The framework consists of:
- Detailed service specifications for Major Trauma Centres and Trauma Units respectively
- A list of the hospitals identified as options for the Major Trauma Centre for the Central Trauma Network and the Dublin Trauma Unit(s)
- Clear assessment criteria (with agreed rationale for inclusion and weightings and scoring) against which the submissions of the Dublin Hospital Groups can be assessed.
Over an eight-week period from December 2018 to February 2019, a public consultation was held by the HSE on the framework for the designation of the Major Trauma Centre for the Central Trauma Network and the Dublin Trauma Unit(s). Feedback was sought from members of the public and key stakeholders, and the responses were broadly positive with the majority of respondents either fully or mostly supporting the framework. Following an extensive analysis of responses, the TRIG then agreed a revised framework to support the designation process.
The membership of the TRIG is outlined in the ‘Further Information and Documentation’ section.