A Dietitian is a qualified healthcare professional who assesses diet and nutritional status and provides evidence-based advice on all aspects of nutrition and diet in order to promote health, prevent disease and help manage existing conditions. A Dietitian provides advice to help manage various conditions, for example:
- Malnutrition and weight loss (post illness/surgery)
- Gastrointestinal disorders (including inflammatory bowel disease, coeliac disease, irritable bowel syndrome)
- Swallowing difficulties
- Home enteral nutrition (for example PEG feeding)
- Weight reducing diets and weight management
- Cholesterol lowering
- Secondary prevention of heart disease and stroke
- One to one consultations in general clinics
- Group programmes e.g. Weight management & Diabetes
- Home visits available for house bound clients
The frequency and duration of sessions will vary according to the patient's condition and dietary compliance.
Who can make referrals?
Your GP or any member of the Primary Care Team can make a client referral on your behalf.
Where to send a referral?
Maureen McGowan, Dietitian Manager, HSE, Block B, Civic Centre, Main St. Bray, Co Wicklow
Phone: (01) 274 4372
Fax: (01) 2744201