Speech and Language Therapists (SLTs) provide assessment, diagnosis & therapy for children with a wide range of communication difficulties.
Who do we see?
We have a general community paediatric caseload (0 - 18 years):
- Children residing in the Dublin South Primary Care catchment area
- Children with Primary Speech &/or Language Difficulties
- Note: Children with communication difficulties which are secondary to a more significant primary difficulty are referred to a more appropriate service where their ongoing and/or complex needs are better met by a multi-disciplinary team
What type of communication difficulties do we work with?
We see children presenting with:
- Language delay/disorder
- Both comprehension and/or expressive language difficulties
- Speech sound difficulties
- Dysfluency (for example, stammer)
- Speech and language difficulties arising from hearing impairment
- Cleft Palate
- Voice disorders (referral to ENT may be advised)
- Specific language impairment
- Mild general learning disability
- Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder attending mainstream classes in mainstream schools
Clients appropriate to other services:
The following clients should be referred to other specialised services:
- Children with communication difficulties as secondary to more significant difficulty (for example, learning disability, ASD, physical behavioural or attention difficulties, etc)
- Adults: St. Colmcille's Hospital SLT Dept. provides an Outreach Service
What is our Referral Policy?
We operate an open Referral Policy
Parental consent is required. Referrals accepted from:
- Primary Care team members (for example, GP, PHN, Psychology)
- Teachers, with signed parental consent
- Private SLTs, psychologists, occupational therapists etc
- Referrals accepted by post or email
- Parents may also refer their child over the phone
- PCCC referral form suitable
Where to send a Referral?
Send by post or email to:
Principal Speech and Language Therapist
Speech & Language Department
Loughlinstown Health Centre
Alternatively, phone Aoife Byrne on 01 2822122