The Microbiology laboratory offers a range of diagnostic services in routine Bacteriology and Virology as well as the provision of statistical and cumulative data for infectious disease monitoring. The Consultant Microbiologist has roles both in the laboratory and directly in patient care by providing advice on infectious diseases and antibiotic utilisation.
Microbiology User Manual (PDF)
Pathology Department General User Guide (PDF)
- Diagnostic Bacteriology including antimicrobial susceptibility testing
- Andrology Service
- Multi drug resistant organism screening (MRSA, VRE, CPE)
- Infectious disease surveillance
- Guidance on Antimicrobial Chemotherapy
- Provision of training for student Medical Scientists
- Referral of Mycology, Mycobacteriology, Parasitology and Virology specimens to external laboratories
Dr Michael Mulhern, Consultant Microbiologist: firstname.lastname@example.org
Judith Rodgers, Chief Medical Scientist: email@example.com
Department Phone Numbers
||External Direct Dial
|Dr Michael Mulhern
||074 910 4479
|Secretary to Dr Mulhern
||074 910 4479
||074 912 3610
||074 912 3662
Routine Opening Hours
Monday-Friday 0800 – 2000
Outside these hours the on-call Medical Scientist can be contacted on 173-816 for URGENT requests.
Please telephone the Microbiology laboratory on 3610 for urgent requests during routine hours.
Urgent requests outside routine hours
Please telephone the on-call Medical Scientist on 173-816 or switchboard.
Results and Enquiries
Results are available for viewing on wards (via ICM or via the Laboratory Information System) following authorisation of the results by the laboratory staff.
Hard copies are released when printed and delivered to the hospital wards. GP reports are available via Healthlink. Hard copies are available on request.
The Microbiology laboratory participates in external third party quality assurance schemes operated by:
- IEQAS (Irish External Quality Assurance Scheme)
- UKNEQAS (UK, National External Quality Assurance Scheme)
(Rev 35, date last modified 10/10/2023. Change Details: Last modified 10/10/23. Change Description: MP-GEN-0064, General User Manual updated (Rev 8). Change detail listed within document. NOTE: If printed, information on this page is only valid on day of printing.)