The HSE National Office for Suicide Prevention (NOSP) is involved in a range of education and training initiatives encompassing suicide prevention and mental health promotion. Such initiatives have been identified as key components of work to achieve the vision of Connecting for Life, Ireland's National Strategy to Reduce Suicide, 2015-2020.
Our Education and Training Plan
The Connecting for Life Education and Training Plan 2019-2020 provides the NOSP with an overarching framework to support the coordination, quality assurance, monitoring and evaluation of education and training actions identified in the strategy. This work builds the capacity of government departments, funded agencies, the HSE, community organisations, groups and individuals to identify and respond appropriately to people at risk of suicide and self-harm. The plan centres around five objectives, to:
- Provide a suite of standardised training programmes for the general public, community care givers, professionals and volunteers
- Provide suicide prevention and mitigation education and training programmes focused on supporting the practice of frontline health and social care professionals
- Ensure a consistent and standardised approach to the provision of education and training through the development of a National Quality Assurance Framework
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of suicide prevention education and training, in line with Connecting for Life.
- Provide oversight for the coordination and implementation of the Education and Training Plan through the development of appropriate systems, structures and roles at national and CHO Area levels.
Objective 3 of the Education and Training Plan identified the need to “ensure a consistent and standardised approach to the provision of education and training through the development of a National Quality Assurance Framework (QAF)”. The resulting National Education and Training Plan Quality Assurance Framework (QAF) is a live document that will be reviewed and updated on a regular basis to reflect new developments and good practice in suicide prevention training.
For more information on the Education and Training function of the NOSP, contact;