Family Connections (FC) is an evidence-based multi-family group intervention for family members/significant others of people with a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD).
Developed in the US by psychologists Perry Hoffman and Alan Fruzzetti, FC aims to educate family members/significant others about BPD and interpersonal functioning, build skills to manage their emotional responses, and provide peer support.
Family Connections programmes run in some parts of the country, e.g. Cork, Wexford, Galway, Louth, Meath. Please ask the treating team in your area if this programme is available for you and your family members.
For more information about this programme, click here.
A DVD and online teaching resource titled 'Open Your Mind Before You Open Your Mouth' has been developed within the North Lee AMHS service in association with the programme originator, to further refine and enhance the learning of skills for family members/ significant others and to facilitate the sharing of their learning with extended family and friends. This resource is available and offered to all participants involved in the Family Connections Programme. The following are a list of links to the individual modules in this DVD.
Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: Family Education
Module 3: Relationship Mindfulness Skills
Module 4: Family Environment Skills
Module 5: Validation Skills
Module 6: Problem Management Skills
Full DVD Link to 'Open Your Mind Before You Open Your Mouth'
Youth & Carer Version
Module 1 – Introduction and Information
Module 2 – Mindfulness and the Middle Path
Module 3 – Understanding Emotions
Module 4 – Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) in action
Module 5 - Validation
Module 6 – Interpersonal Effectiveness
Recommended web links for family members/ significant others:
National Education Alliance for Borderline Personality Disorder - www.borderlinepersonalitydisorder.com
Borderline Personality Disorder Resource Centre www.bpdresourcecenter.org
Recommended reading list for family members/ significant others:
- Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Living with BPD (2007) by Alexander L. Chapman. New Harbinger Publications Inc. Oakland California
- Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified: An Essential Guide to Understanding and Living with BPD (2004) by Robert Friedel Avon Publishing Group, New York
- Borderline and Beyond 3rd edition (2007) by Laura Paxton White Tiger Dream Press, North Carolina
- Overcoming Borderline Personality Disorder: A Family Guide for Healing and Change (2010) by Valarie Porr. Oxford University Press, New York
- Stop Walking on Eggshells 2nd edition (2010) by Paul T. Mason and Randi Kreger. New Harbringer Publication Inc. Oakland California
- The High Conflict Couple: A Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Guide to Finding Peace, Intimacy and Validation (2006) by Alan E. Fruzetti New Harbinger Publications Inc. Oakland California
- Understanding and Treating Borderline Personality Disorder: A Guide for Professionals and Families (2005) by John G. Gunderson and Perry D. Hoffman. American Psychiatric Publishing Family Connections DVD/ Online Teaching Resource: