The National Hospitals Office has made hospital hygiene a priority from its inception.
To date the following initiatives have taken place:
- Hand-Washing Poster Campaign 'Clean Hands Save Lives' September 2005, a further supply of posters was made available in summer 2006
- S.A.R.I. documents, 'Guidelines for Hand Hygiene in Irish Health Care Settings' & 'The Control and 'Prevention of MRSA in Hospitals and in the Community' - September 2005
- Hand-Washing Week 24th - 28th of October 2005; posters, stickers, pens and patient information leaflets were distributed to all acute hospitals and to all other facilities that requested supporting material in advance of hand washing week
- Launch of 1st National Hygiene Audit Thursday 3rd of November 2005
- Launch of the 2nd National Hygiene Audit Thursday 13th July 2006
The report and results of the 1st and 2nd National Acute Hospital Hygiene Audit are on this page.